Today is not just the end of the year, but the end of the decade. It doesn’t seem possible, but it’s true. Two decades of the 21st century are gone. Wasn’t it just the other day that we were partying like it was 1999?
Apparently someone started a thing on Twitter in November by tweeting
“there’s only ONE MONTH left in the decade. what have you accomplished?”
According to the Mashable article “People Are Sharing Their Accomplishments of the Decade as 2019 Comes to an End” by Andy Moser,
[i]t began with the best intentions, but as things on Twitter tend to go, things quickly devolved into a mess of memes, sadness, and somehow, compassion and encouragement.
However the answers to the questions left other people feeling, the question got me thinking about what I have done during the decade. Here’s the list of what I’ve accomplished since December 31, 2009.
- Finished visiting all of the contiguous United States except Montana
- Got into what turned out to be an abusive relationship
- Left the abusive relationship again and again and again…and finally for good
- Bought a van after hard work and lots of help from my friends
- Went on an epic 2 month road trip with people I really cared about
- Hit an elk and lost my van
- Bought another van (after hard work and lots of help from my friends)
- Worked even harder (and got some help from my friends) and bought a better van
- Started a blog (in February 2015) and kept it up until now
- Worked as a camp host
- Wrote a book about my experiences as a camp host and self-published it
- Met a nice guy who became my partner
- Acquired a small piece of land and a small travel trailer where we live now with the dog
Is that a lot to have accomplished in a decade or only a little? Is it enough? Should I have done more? I don’t know. All I know, is that’s what I’ve done.
I’d love to hear about what you have accomplished this decade. Please feel free to tell me about your accomplishments in the comments section below.